A sermon in outline form regarding what God want’s our nation to require and reject.
Christians are salt and light in this world. We all have a personal responsibility to see that truth and direction is given to a nation, yeah, to America.
By Pastor Gary Dull.
INTRO: WHAT IS REQUIRED OF A NATION? The individual to whom it is addressed would determine the answer to that question. For Example: A military person might say, “A STRONG DEFENSE.” An economist might say, “A STRONG ECONOMY.” A nationalist might say, “A STRONG BORDER.” A journalist might say, “A FREEDOM TO SPEAK.” And so forth. But another question to ask is WHAT SHOULD BE REJECTED BY A NATION? Again, the answer would depend upon who was asked.
For Example: One committed to the democratic process might say, “REJECT A DICTATORSHIP.” A capitalist might say, “REJECT SOCIALISM.” A pro-lifer might say, “REJECT ABORTION.” A strict constructionist might say, “REJECT CONSTITUTIONAL CHANGE.” And so forth. These are all some good thoughts based upon the thinking of mankind, but WHAT DOES GOD WANT A NATION TO REQUIRE AND REJECT? Proverbs 14:34 clearly presents the answer and each Christian American citizen is responsible to see that the text is applied to our beloved Nation. THE TEXT TELLS US THAT A NATION IS TO REQUIRE RIGHTEOUSNESS AND REJECT SIN.
A POINT TO REMEMBER: Christians are SALT AND LIGHT in this world meaning that we are to PRESERVE GODLY TRUTH and PRESENT DIVINE DIRECTION to the world. SUCH WILL NOT BE DONE IF CHRISTIANS DO NOT DO IT! We all have a PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY to see that TRUTH AND DIRECTION is given to a nation, yeah, TO AMERICA.
I. NATIONAL RIGHTEOUSNESS BRINGS EXALTATION VS. 34a
A. Righteousness is Required in a Nation
1. “Righteousness” refers to that WHICH IS RIGHT ACCORDING TO THE STANDARD OF GOD.
2. The STANDARD OF GOD is summarized in the teaching of the TEN
COMMANDMENTS. A nation that would focus on these TEN COMMANDS would be
a nation of RIGHTEOUSNESS!
B. Righteousness is a Blessing to a Nation
1. When principles of righteousness are practiced by a nation, that nation will be exalted by God.
2. The United States was founded by men, many of who sought for RIGHTEOUS PRINCIPLES to prevail in the infant nation. They achieved their goal through prayer and searching the scriptures, and God EXALTED AMERICA! (Note the words of John Adams on the Bible and George Washington in prayer).
3. Just look how God EXALTED AMERICA in a short time!
C. Righteousness is Obtained by Following the Rule of Christ
1. It is impossible to make an unchristian nation (as America has become) behave in a Christian manner.
2. Therefore if a nation is to be righteous, the individuals thereof MUST YEILD TO THE WILL OF CHRIST. How?
a. By the Personal salvation through faith in Christ ALONE.
b. By the Personal submission to the teachings of Christ TOTALLY.
APPLICATION: AS CHRISTIANS WE MUST PRAY, EVANGELIZE, AND EXEMPLIFY
CHRIST FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS TO PREVAIL.
II. NATIONAL SIN BRINGS DEGRADATION VS. 34b
A. Sin Should be Rejected by a Nation
1. “Sin” refers to that WHICH VIOLATES THE STANDARD OF GOD. Note 1 John 3:4
2. Sin is the natural state of mankind, which brings about his present and eternal ruination unless he receives Christ as Savior. It is that sin that is practiced and multiplied by all ungodly individuals that will lead a nation to reject biblical and moral principles.
B. Sin is a Shame to a Nation
1. When the principles of righteousness are rejected by a nation that nation will be brought to its knees in shame and if it does not repent, it will be destroyed by God Himself.
2. In the last several generations, America has been violating principles of righteousness in a myriad of ways. How?
a. Violating Life.
b. Violating the Family.
c. Violating God.
3. Look at America now in comparison to a century ago. History shows that then we were strong and united, but now we are weak and divided. We must certainly consider THE NATION OF ISRAEL when looking for an example of a nation that forgot God.(Hosea 4:6)
C. Sin can be Overcome through Faith in Jesus Christ as Savior
1. Christians must pray.
2. Christians must evangelize.
3. Christians must stand for truth.
4. Christians must live out the principles of Christ.
APPLICATION: THE SINFUL TRACK AMERICA IS TRAVELING WILL NOT STOP
AUTOMATICALLY ON ITS OWN. IT IS EMPOWERED BY SATAN HIMSELF. SIN WILL ONLY BE OVERCOME IN AMERICA AS CHRISTIANS TOTALLY YIELD CORPORATELY TO GOD IN THEIR OWN LIFE’S! 1 PETER 4:17